Fourth Week in Spain

Well, after a long and eventful weekend, it's safe to say I slept pretty much all Monday. I dragged myself to my one class and came back home to lay in bed, eat and go to sleep. On days like these, I wish I would've packed leggings or that it was acceptable to walk around in sweatpants because there's days where I just want to throw those on and go to class. But since I didn't pack any leggings and I would probably get weird stares wearing sweatpants, I searched through my closet for something comfortable to wear. Since it was Monday, there was another "movie night", but I slept passed the time again. Instead, I put my clothes away that my host mom washed for me and then went to a comic book store around the corner from my house and bought 5 Spanish comic books of the Black Panther. When I left the shop, I was going to go to a nearby corner store to buy a Coca Cola, because it was like 97 degrees, but a truck got stuck so I had to walk to Plaza de Zocodever, which luckily wasn't too far from me. I bought my Coca Cola and these Doritos that will literally change you life! I then went back home to do some homework and relax.

The next day I had two classes. It can be such a drag because they're each two hours long with only a 30 minute break in between, so I'm usually drained and ready for food and a siesta after days like these. We had an excursion planned today and I only had about an hour to relax before it was time to go.  We visited another church, San Juan De Los Reyes and El Transito (I didn't realize they switched one of the sites so in my last blog I put that we visited San Juan De Los Reyes but we didn't. We went to Museo Del Greco). As I mentioned before, these places have gotten boring to me so I stop paying attention and walk around a bit. After the excursion, I went home for about an hour or so to do some homework, call my mom and one of my friends before I went to go see the sunset at one of the girls in my groups residence. The sun doesn't set till pretty late out here, 9:40-9:46pm to be exact, so I left my place around 8:50 only to realize it was only an 8 minute walk. *The sunset was beautiful and I will insert some pictures*. I remember before I came here, my teacher would say it cools down at night or I would read websites that said that but it's a lie. It stays at about 97 degrees all the way till the sun goes down, then it just drops to about 87 degrees and it doesn't get cool till around 6am, where it's at about 70 degrees, which only lasts till about 12pm. By the time that happens, I'm already in the school enjoying the air conditioning.




On Wednesday, I had two classes again because my teacher planned an excursion to Consegura on Friday, so they had to make up that class. I'm not attending because I want to sleep in a bit, go get a manicure and a pedicure then explore Toledo a bit. I was feeling pretty sick this day and I think it's because I was eating too much because the thought of food would make me nauseous, so I tried to eat the meals in smaller proportions and get outside food like snacks and Starbucks, etc. I didn't eat the typical dinner prepared by my host mom that night because I told her that I wasn't feeling good so she made me a small sandwich made with a croissant and ham and I ate some popcorn (I think was white cheddar flavor because that's what it tasted like) that I bought from a nearby store. After that, I just went to sleep. Surprisingly, I was actually able to sleep through the entire night for the first time since I got here.

Thursday was a pretty easy and chill day. I woke up feeling better, but not ready to eat the food in the full amount, so my host mom made that croissant sandwich again for breakfast and made me this thing that looked like tea and then headed off to class! This day was interesting and fun. The first class is my Special Topics class and we talked for like the first 30 mins of class, took a quiz and then continued conversing and talked about some of the things we have experienced while being here. We then watched 13mins of a show called "Cuentame". My next class was interesting because we spent the first ten mins of class talking about the food here, which tied into the lesson because our last chapter is on Spanish recipes. We learned some new words that refer to the kitchen and some common phrases they use here. After class, I went home and ate some soup, steak (well I think it's steak, the name in Spanish is filete de ternero) and patatas fritas. For dessert, I had canned flan, which was kind of weird because I had never seen it in a can before. It wasn't bad, but I don't like textures like that so I couldn't finish it. After my meal, I went and took a nap before meeting up with my group at the Museo de Queso Manchega (which was a cheese museum). Afterwards, I walked around and found this cute store that had cute gifts like key chains, wallets, glasses, etc. I bought a wallet for my friend, a sleeping mask and two silk headbands. I then headed home to relax a little bit before it was time to go out. One of the girls in my group that's staying in the dorms got invited to go out with some people in the dorms to celebrate one of the girls getting married and a guy's birthday. So she invited us and we all went to celebrate it went them. Turns out the place was really close to my house so I got there before everyone else and was just waiting. After about an hour there, we decided to go to McDonalds, so we walked there and got some food and sat outside talking for like 30mins. Once we were done, we headed back home because it was about 12 in the morning.

On Friday I got to sleep in because I choose not to go to Consegura with the rest of my group. Instead I stayed in, cleaned up, then went to a nail shop to get a manicure and a pedicure. I went to this specific place because I once saw a sign stating manicures and pedicures were 10 euros, but I guess it was just a temporary promotion because I ended up paying the same amount that I would've in America. My plan was to stay down by where the nail shop was and get something to eat and then walk around for a bit, but after checking two restaurants menus, they all had the same thing so I decided to go back up where I live. I remembered that one of the girl's from my group mentioned a restaurant that had chicken and broccoli pasta and I was suddenly began to crave it, so I headed towards the Plaza del Ayumiento in search of it. I eventually found it and was disappointed to see that it was closed. In disbelief, I looked the place up on my phone and to my luck, it said it was only open from 11am-4pm and it was 5pm already. Luckily, there was a restaurant right next to it that had ribs and fries so I decided to go there. The food wasn't bad I wish there would have been more sauce on the meat but other than that, I had no complaints. Whenever I go to a restaurant here, I'm always in awe at the atmosphere. Everything is so chill and the waiters don't pester you as much; they just take your order and bring you your food and unless you need more, they leave you alone. As soon as I sat down, I ordered a coke and she brought a tapa out for me that had chips and some bread with tomato sauce and what looked like tuna (I didn't eat it because I couldn't stomach even looking at it for too long). I ordered my food and she left me alone till my food was ready. In the meantime, I pulled out a book and started reading it while I waited. After I ate my food, I sat there and began to read some more. The waiter wasn't sneaking me any looks or trying to get me to leave faster, which was good.  She just left me alone and after a while, came to take my plates. After I finished my drink, I walked back home and watched some Netflix till it was time to go out with my group. Since it was our last weekend, we wanted to enjoy it so we decided to go out and have some fun.

Saturday not much was planned. I pretty much spent the day in my room doing some homework and watching tv. Later that night, I did go to one of the girls place and we all just hung out again, listening to music.

Not too much happened on Sunday. I stayed in my room to work on my blog and do some homework for my classes.


Comments