What to Expect

Now I'm sure some of you may want to know the details of this trip: like what the classes consist of, the types of activities we do, etc. Well I hope this post will help. I'll start of by saying that none of us knew what we were going to be doing until we got to Spain; we didn't even find out about our host family information until two weeks before we were suppose to leave.  I knew that we would take classes, take a flamenco dancing class, and go to another city while we were there, but other than that, I had no idea what we would be doing. We all got our schedules on Monday, which detailed all the things that we would do while in Spain (I will insert a picture of what the schedule looks like so you can get an idea of what to expect).

As you can see, they have of lot of things planned for us to do which is a good and bad thing because most of would like to go to other countries while we're here and we only have two weekends where we don't have excursions planned on the weekend. *This may seem like a lot of time, but we don't get out of class till 1:30pm on Fridays and have to factor in travel time (which means taking a bus to Madrid, then hopping on a plane or train and going to wherever you want to go). I personally plan to go to Italy and Morocco while I'm here so *fingers crossed* that I will be able to go.


I am also going to post a picture of our class schedule so you can get an idea of that as well.

As previously mentioned, I took 461 and 302 so I have class from 9am-1:30pm on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. (One thing I forgot to mention is that the schedule will be in a notebook in a bookbag that they will give you, so if you don't want to bring your backpack that's fine they will provide one for you).

Some other things you can expect is to eat bread with every meal. This isn't the type of bread that's common in the U.S. either. This bread is very hard on the outside and kind of soft on the inside. The bread has such a hard exterior because they use the bread to pick up their food. Another thing to expect is to eat tortilla at least once a day (I have been here 5 days and so far I have had it at least once a day). If you looked into Spain before, you know they kiss on both cheeks so be prepared to do that as soon as you meet your host parents. They also stand very close to you. My host mom is always right in my face and I thought it would be weird to have someone that close to me, but I guess it's because I like her and feel comfortable with her that I don't mind the closeness. In most apartments, they have an open garden with big plants and there are a lot of flies around them. Another thing is that there is really no air conditioning here. I have one in my room, but it doesn't get that cold. I don't know how they stand the heat without air conditioning. With host families, there's no paper towels in the bathroom. I have spoken to other students in my group about this and they have said the same thing, so be prepared to air dry your hands while you're home. Also, if you're an avid pop drinker like me, you will be very disappointed here. They only have Coca Cola :(. I'm not a fan of Coca Cola, but since that is the only pop here, I have to drink it when I'm craving an ice cold pop.

Garden that is most common in apartment buildings






Comments