Preparation for trip

Hi my name is Teri Faulkner and I am going abroad to complete my Spanish minor. I am going to Toledo, Spain and will blog majority of my trip. I will be there for five weeks and my hope is to become fluent or as close to fluent ass possible, in the language. I have been taking Spanish classes since the seventh grade, I am currently an incoming senior, so I have been taking Spanish classes for a while now. The only problem that has stopped me from becoming fluent in the language is the lack of people in my circle that speak Spanish. I am only able to speak Spanish in the classrooms and that's only an hour a day or every other day and when summer comes Im really out of luck cause I don't even have the one hour to speak it anymore. That is why I am excited to go out the country for the first time and be immersed in the language so I can learn how the natives speak and become more confident in my speaking abilities.

I will be taking two classes while I am abroad which are advanced composition in Spanish and special topics Spanish civilization. I am most looking forward to my Spanish civilization class because I think with that class we will really be able to connect what we learn in class to what's around us because we could find out how the town we're staying in came to be and maybe other cities around us. Both of these classes are taught by a NIU professor that I have already taken a class with so at least ill have some familiarity with how the class will be set up.

Some ways I have prepared for this trip was by getting some sturdy sandals, as recommended by my advisor, and getting clothing that would be appropriate for the country. Luckily my mom helped me out and bought me a lot of lightweight tops and shorts and I am hoping these will help me blend in with the natives as well as help me beat the heat.

Lastly some things that I have packed, which I hope will be helpful to the next person, are some shorts, sandals, one pair of sneakers, a light cardigan, lightweight shirts, tank tops, a pair of thick heeled-heels, makeup (because im really into makeup and I hope my setting powders and setting sprays will hold up), one going out dress and a few ripped jeans. Some thing that I made sure to pack on my carry-on are a neck pillow, blanket, books to read while im waiting in the airport and on the plane. I have also downloaded a few movies from Netflix like Spanish affair 2, Nick and Norahs infinite playlist, Bad Boys and Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

Comments